Joseph Tate is back in Emmerdale and while that means a great deal of trouble for Charity Dingle, it may not mean a huge amount to newer viewers who don’t have many memories of the infamous Home Farm dynasty.
Joe has been posing as businessman Tom Waterhouse, who seduced Debbie into a false relationship and plotted to take the Dingles’ land. And it seems like this may only be the start of what he has in mind as he wants his own back on Charity.
But what is his beef? Here is Joe’s story so far.
- Chris Tate was left paralysed after a plane crash rocked the village in 1993 and this placed a huge strain on his marriage to Kathy, who had planned to leave him before the disaster.
- Chris grew close to Rachel Hughes who helped to teach him to swim and they ended up commencing an affair.
- Rachel ended up pregnant with Chris’ baby and he and Kathy split over the betrayal.
- Joseph Mark Tate was born prematurely to Chris and Rachel and they ended up getting married.
- After less than a year, Chris’ obsession with money and power saw his marriage to Rachel break down.
- Chris was left with Tom after Rachel was murdered by a later boyfriend Graham Clark, who pushed her from a cliff.
- Chris spent Joseph to boarding school intermittently and he spent much of his childhood away from his family.
- Chris embarked on a relationship with money hungry Charity and even her affair with Chris’ sister Zoe didn’t split them up, with Chris proving his devotion by tearing up the pre nup.
- Chris and Charity were married but Charity later discovered she had a daughter Debbie with Cain. Cain and Charity rekindled their passion in secret.
- Chris discovered he has a brain tumour and also found out about Charity’s affair. He started frittering away his money so she would have none left to her.
- Charity was then confronted over her cheating with Chris, who poisoned himself and died before Charity’s eyes.
- Chris had effectively framed Charity for murder and she was found guilty at trial but later acquitted.
- Zoe gained custody of Josepth and they moved to New Zealand together. Joseph hasn’t been seen since – until now.
Joe got a windfall from Chris and has since built up success of his own – and his confidante and father figure (as well as employee) Graham Foster has been his only trusted ally since. It’s clear that he believes Charity drove his dad to kill himself and now he wants her to pay…